Library usage / Library cards
To borrow items you need a valid Medical University of Vienna library card, even if you already have a valid library card from another university.
As per § 5, para. 1 of the library regulations, the membership fee is 15 euros per year for persons not covered by § 3, para. 1 Z 1 and 2 of the library regulations.
You can apply for a library account at the library circulation desk from Mon-Fri from 8:00 - 20:00 and Sat 9:00 - 17:00 (during the holidays » restricted opening hours!). Along with » the completed registration form, the following documents must be brought:
- Students of the Medical University of Vienna: student identification,
- Medical interns (FamulantInnen) at the Medical University of Vienna: official photo identification, certificate of registration, confirmation from the university clinic you are attending
- Medical University of Vienna or Vienna General Hospital (AKH) representatives/staff: certificate of registration and official photo identification
- Alumni of the Medical University of Vienna: certificate of registration and alumni club card
- Guest doctors/interns: official photo identification, certificate of registration, confirmation from the university clinic you are visiting
- Students and members of educational institutions other than the Medical University of Vienna: certificate of registration, student/employee identification card
- Persons below 18 years: » a written waiver signed by a parent or guardian, certificate of registration, official photo identification, school-pupil identification card
- General users, doctors in private practice: certificate of registration and official photo identification
Please advise us immediately of any change of address or name, or any change in email-address, by bringing your certificate of registration to the Medical University of Vienna Library information desk.
In the event of loss of a library card, the library account holder must report the loss to the police immediately and submit confirmation of this report to the Medical University of Vienna Library, because he/she shall be liable for any misuse of their library card until the loss is reported. However, a block can be put on the library account before the loss is reported to the police.
Misuse of a library card is punishable by criminal and civil law.
Documents are required anew for the replacement of a library card.